Click to go to
Harby in old photographs including early maps
The history of Harby, the families, opportunities for employment have been shared with surrounding villages. Some of these have websites with illustrations and history:-
Eaton - www.elhg.co.uk/Eaton/Home.html
Redmile - www.redmilearchive.freeuk.com/
HARBY NATURAL HISTORY
A website for the natural history of the villages of Harby, Hose and Long Clawson is being developed at www.naturespot.org.uk/parish/clawson-hose-and-harby
We are working to find the origins for the various street and place names of Harby. If you have information or ideas to add please contact us email@example.com
Boyers Orchard -
we think the
orchard where the council houses were built some 50 years ago was owned by
Mr Boyer and the street is named after him. There are gravestone of
the Boyer family in the churchyard near the vestry.
Greggs Lane -
named after the
family that lived in the nearby house 100 years ago. They are recorded
in the census returns, latterly it was nurse Gregg
who lived there.
Steps or Stepping Lane -
combined Red Causeway and Gas
Walk, the name used in early records.
Thraves Terrace - named after
the Thraves family.
Anderson, John, 1976, Leicestershire Canals, bygones in camera. Privately printed.
British Geological Survey, 2002, Melton Mowbray. England and Wales sheet 142, solid and drift geology. 1:50,000 series. Keyworth, British Geological survey.
Bourne, Jill, 1977, Place names of Leicestershire and Rutland. Leicestershire Libraries and Information Service.
Carney, J N, K Ambrose and A Brandon 2002, Geology of the Melton Mowbray district. Keyworth, British Geological survey.
Chaworth Musters, 1890 A Cavalier Stronghold, a romance of the vale of Belvoir. Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & CO, London; James Bell, Nottingham.
Cobbet, William 1832 A geographical dictionary of England and Wales.
Cox, Barrie 2002 The Place-names of Leicestershire, part two, Framland Hundred, Nottingham : English Place-name Society.
Cram Leslie, Martin Henig and Keith Ambrose 2005, A stone “celtic” human head from Harby, Leicestershire, Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society. 79, 91- 97.
Cram, Leslie 2010 Harby: village life in the Vale of Belvoir. Harby: Harby History Group.
Dale, T F. 1899. A history of the Belvoir Hunt.Westminster: Archibald Constable and Co.
Doyle Michael R P. 2009.Their name liveth for evermore : the GreatWar Roll of Honour for Leicestershire and Rutland, volumes 1 - 5. Published by Michael Doyle.
Dewey, Laurie, 1968, Northeast Corner, Belvoir High School, in Melton library 942.546. Domesday Herdebi, 122 Herdeby.
Evelyn, Mary, 1927, The Cheese of the Country , Health, a Journal of Popular and Industrial Medicine, volume 6, number 40, pages 170 to 178.
Freeman, Roger A, 1994.
UK Airfields of the Ninth: Then and Now.
London: After the Battle.
Halfpenny, Bruce Barrymore, 1991, Action Stations Volume 2: Military Airfields of Lincolnshire and the East Midlands. Patrick Stephens Ltd.
Hartley, Robert F 1987, The Mediaeval Earthworks of North-east Leicestershire. Archaeological Reports Series, Leicestershire Museums, Art Galleries and Records Service.
Haycock, David Boyd and Patrick Wallis (eds), 2005 Quackery and Commerce in Seventeenth-Century London: The Proprietary Medicine Business of Anthony Daffy, Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine, London.
Henshaw, Alfred, 2003, The Great Northern Railway in the East Midlands: Nottingham - Grantham, Bottesford - Newardk, Melton Mowbray, the Leicester Line and Ironstone Branches, Railway Correspondence and Travel Society
Hewlett H B 1935, The Quarries.
Hickman, Trevor 1995, The History of Stilton cheese, Alan Sutton.
Honeybone, Michael, 1987, The Vale of Belvoir. Barraccuda Books.
King, W 1806, Tract of country surrounding Belvoir Castle.
Lawton, Pam and Marilyn Garner, 2000, Minutes in Time, the Story of Harby Women's Institute.
Liddle, Peter, 1982, Leicestershire Archaeology, the present state of knowledge. Volume 1, To the end of the Roman Period, Leicestershire Museums, Art Galleries and Records Service Archaeological Report no. 4.
Marrows, Hugh, 2003, The romantic canal, alongside the Grantham. Grantham Canal Partnership.
Nichols, John, 1815, reprinted 19 ? History and Antiquities of the County of Leicestershire. Harby is mentioned in part ii pages 209-213, and 422, part iii page 534.
Palmer, Marilyn ed., 1983, Leicestershire Archaeology, the present state of knowledge. Volume 3 Industrial Archaeology, Leicestershire Museums, Art Galleries and Records Service Archaeological Report no. 6.
Pevsner, Nicholaus, revise Elizabeth Williamson 1984, The buildings of England, Leicestershire and Rutland second edition, page 174.Penguin Books.
Pitt W 1809, A general view of the agriculture of the county of Leicestershire.
Prior John 1779, Map of Leicestershire.
Stapleford, Rex, 2006, A history of Harby cricket club 1919 to 1964. Privately printed.
Throsby 1798, Leicestershire views and excursions.
Tonks, Eric 1961, The ironstone railway and tramways of the Midlands. London, Locomotive Publishing Co.
Tonks Eric, 1992, The Ironstone Quarries of the Midlands, history, operations and railways,Part IX : Leicestershire. Runpast Publishing, Cheltenham.
Unigate Foods, Stilton from Harby.
White, William 1863, History, gazetteer and directory of the counties of Leicester and Rutland. Page 353 Harby - inhabitants 655.
It is easy to find out more yourself.
Leicestershire County Council provides us with a Museums, Arts and Records Service, www.leics.gov.uk.
The Museums and Archaeological Sites and Monuments Record can be contacted at County Hall, Glenfield, Leicester LE3 8TB, telephone 0116 232 3232, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Leicestershire Record Office is at Long Street, Wigston Magna, Leicester LE18 2AH, telephone 0116 257 1080, email - email@example.com. The special treasure there is a map of the village and all the fields around it made at the time of the enclosures in 1793. With it are the written descriptions of who owns which land. Click on the little picture to see more. There is also a copy of large scale map of our village and all its fields even earlier, in 1790.
There are also other maps, the records of the Parish church and the Methodist church, records of Harby School going back to 1863, past copies of Harby News and Harby Journal, legal documents, and old photographs.
Remember to contact them first to arrange a time if you are going to visit.
There is also the Library, 0116 265 6988, firstname.lastname@example.org, and the Carnegie Museum in Melton Mowbray, Thorpe End, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE13 1RB, telephone 01664 569946.
Down in London is the Public Record Office at Kew. They hold the following documents on Harby :-
and the website is http://www.ihrinfo.ac.uk/ihr/nine.html.
© 2000 Harby Limited, All rights reserved.